The city of Herning will show you “hygge” at the world championships
A fortnight of festivities awaits guests in Herning when the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship takes over the entire city on May 4th - 17th.
Fans from Finland, USA, Canada, Germany, Norway, Latvia, South Korea - and of course Denmark - will invade Herning for 30 games of world-class hockey.
When they arrive, Herning is ready with a long and comprehensive list of activities. The team colors of all eight nations will be visible throughout the streets. With the home team playing in the red and white, these two colors might be a bit more prevalent - and that is good news for Canada and Latvia who are sporting the same colors.
The many events and activities in the days up to and during the World Championship are assembled under the name "Hygge-Hockey-Herning" with the emphasis on creating the famous Danish "Hygge"-feeling.
[Hygge= "a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture)". ]
Source: Oxford Dictionaries
What's up ?
"Ice Hockey fever has hit Herning hard - and we are looking forward to a massive party. As the perhaps smallest city to host a World Championship, combined with a long tradition of hosting large-scale sport events, we have the perfect setting to create an intimate World Championship mood, that will be something very special", says Elo Christensen, Sport Event Manager in Herning Municipality.
The municipality is cooperating with the local shops, shopping mall, bars, restaurants and touristinformation to create a hockey party for both residents in Herning and visitors from afar.
To ensure smooth transportation free shuttle-busses will be available during the championships with fixed stops at three locations: Herning Station in the center of town, the venue Jyske Bank Boxen and the shopping centre herningCentret.
At the venue you will find a 10.000 square-meter Fan Zone - both indoors and outdoors - with free admission for both ticketholders and non-ticketholders. The Fan Zone holds 10.000 people and will feature live music, airhockey, asphalt curling, quizzes, dance shows, floorball and a large ice rink with artificial ice and much more. The Fan Zone also has 20 different kinds of food stalls (and drinks of course).
The city centre
A list of the activities in Herning during the championships include:
- A large ice rink with artificial ice for real skates. At Herning City Square from April 23rd to May 1st and in herningCentret from May 2nd to May 13th.
- A large beer tent (42 x 12 meters) in the City Square.
- Live music and DJs at the City Square. The schedule so far is live music on May 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 14th..
- A chance to meet Duckly the mascot in the streets.
- Decorations throughout Herning including flags, banners, balloons and so forth. A large number of oversized hockey sticks will decorate the route of the "Fan Walk" from the city centre to the venue (about 2 kilometers). A tunnel on the route will be decorated with hockey street art.
- Information and city guides on the City Square.
- Herning Library will host a string of events, including lectures on "ice hockey for dummies", interviews with veteran players, "pimp your hockey stick"-workshops, paint your own Duckly the mascot, table hockey tournament and more.
- A number of extra outdoor serving-areas close to different restaurants and bars.
- Street hockey tournament on May 4th .
- From May 4th to May 13th all ticket holders have free admission to Carl Henning Pedersen and Else Alfelts Museum, home to a large collection of COBRA-art. The Museum is currently showing an exhibition of sculptures by His Royal Highness, the late Prince Consort Henrik of Denmark.
- Latvian children give a dance-performance in herningCentret on May 6th.
- On May 7th, 9th and 14th all are invited to join in, when a Beer Choir leads a sing along in the tent in the City Square.
During the championship an electronic calendar can also be found on the site www.herningerkultur.dk
Facts about the 2018 IIHF World Championships
The 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championships will take place in Denmark, where Jyske Bank Boxen in Herning and Royal Arena in Copenhagen will be the stage for the 64 games. The event takes place from May 4th to May 20th and attended by the 16 best hockey nations in the world.
Since 2003 Denmark has successfully qualified for the World Championships. Ticket sales for the championship starts on Friday, September 1st.
IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship is among the largest sport events in the world and will be broadcasted to 165 different nations and more than 1,3 billion viewers. The Danish Ishockey Union (DIU) arranges the championship through the development company Ishockey VM 2018 I/S, owned in equal parts by DIU and Infront Sports & Media AG. The World Championships are supported by Sport Event Denmark, Herning Municipality, Central Denmark Region, Copenhagen Municipality and The Capital Region of Denmark.